Barclays Bank PLC is one of the world’s largest banks - we help move, lend, invest and protect money for 48 million customers in over 50 countries - with the aim of helping people achieve their ambitions - in the right way. Working for our Retail and Business Banking division means far more than just numbers and spreadsheets. We pride ourselves on providing unrivalled customer service, being at the forefront of technological innovation and always working with respect and integrity. Barclays is a values driven business. Our commitment to our values affects not only the way we go about all of the activity you associate with a bank but also means that we work to contribute to economic growth and support our communities. For example, our LifeSkills programme is designed to give young people in the UK access to the skills they need to make the transition into work. And whatever stage you’re at in your academic career, or even if you already have a few years’ work experience, there could be an opportunity waiting for you at Barclays. See below for our opportunities.
Did you know?
- There are over 1500 branches of Barclays in the UK. Our most northerly one is in Inverness, Scotland. Our most southerly is in Penzance, Cornwall.
- The Times newspaper has named us as one of the top 50 places in the UK where women want to work - for five years running.* Barclays is a pioneer for women in banking. We hired the first female branch manager back in 1958. *http://group.barclays.com/news/news-article/1329925292249
- We have over 3,000 branches worldwide. You'll see the famous blue Barclays logo in all sorts of exotic locations, including Thailand, Ghana and Brazil.
- Over 14 million 'Barclays bikes' have been hired since London's Barclays Cycle Hire scheme launched in July 2010. During the 2012 Olympics, almost 50,000 were used every day.
- Barclays sponsors several world-class sporting events, including the Barclays Premier League and the Barclays ATP Tennis World Tour Finals.
- Barclaycard has been the official sponsor of the Mercury Prize since 2009. The 2012 winners were Alt-J for their album An Awesome Wave – past nominees have included Tinie Tempah, Dizzee Rascal, Florence + the Machine, Katy B and Adele. The prize money is £20,000.
Opportunities at Barclays Retail and Business Bank - Summer Internships and Spring Insight Programme
These are eight week placements available in different business areas. Interns gain real work experience, develop commercial skills and learn about our business, and are sometimes fast-tracked onto the Future Leaders Development Programme.
Spring Insight Programme
This is a four day course designed to help you decide if a career in financial services is something you’re really interested in. It’s intended for people in their first year at university, or second year of a four-year course and involves shadowing some of our current Future Leaders so you can see exactly what their work consists of, as well as taking part in a number of activities designed to help you hone your skills.
Entry level positions at Barclays
The success of everyone at Barclays is measured by their ability to put our customers at the centre of their day so we’ll look at your ability and nothing else.
Apprenticeships at Barclays
These are aimed at young people aged 16-24 who do not have the experience and/ or qualifications necessary for our other entry routes. Apprentices are recruited on the basis of their attitude and potential and benefit from invaluable work experience, a competitive salary and also on-the-job professional training towards a level 2 QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) in ‘Providing Financial Services’.
Barclays Sponsored Degree Programme
This programme combines study for a degree in Management and Leadership with paid work in our Retail Banking division. All your tuition fees are paid for as you follow a fast-track route into a leadership role.
The Future Leaders Development Programme
This programme is designed to help the most ambitious graduates make it to the top of the financial services world. It’s a two year rotational programme, which means you get to work in different departments within a specific business area.
Each graduate programme offers you the opportunity to develop and perfect your skills and professional expertise, with training and development to match. No scheme is the same, however: we tailor your experience, depending on the role you choose. There are many to choose from including Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, Global Markets and Wealth and Investmenr: you can explore all graduate roles and current opportunities here: http://joinus.barclays.com.